It seems like everyone is talking about dream achievement, life advancement, and making life what you want t it to be. And you may be sitting there, like I have before, thinking, “Yeah, sure. Easier said than done.” Well, recently it seems the world has been sending messages my way—messages on how to make this happen. These have culminated in a very brief list of steps to help all of us get what we want out of life. This is undoubtedly an incomplete list, but take it for it is worth.
5 Steps to Taking Control:
- Start today. If you are a procrastinator, get over it. If you want anything to happen, you have to start today, because there is always another tomorrow. Kay Donaldson left me an inspiring comment that made me realize it is never too late to start, but why wait? At 52, she took a trip to Nepal and India with Habitat for Humanity; “I waited my entire life to step out in boldness and jump outside of my comfort zone, and I have never looked back since.”
- What do you want? “And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.” ~The Alchemist, by Paulo Coelho. Here’s the trick to the whole achieving-what-you-want-in-life thing, you actually need to know what you want. If you don’t already know, try answering Some of Life’s Most Important Questions. What are your dreams, goals, hopes and aspirations? Once you know, it will be easier to see them to reality.
- Strategy. I am currently reading “The Art of Strategy–A Game Theorist’s Guide to Success in Business and Life,” which discusses the idea of game theory and strategy to winning the game of life. Though I’ve hardly begun to get into the book, it made me think. Strategy means you are approaching decisions in life with the aim to get the most out of the opportunity. Create your life-strategy, or plan of action, based on what you want to achieve in Step 2. For every opportunity that presents itself, think about the choice that best helps you get where you are going.
- S.M.A.R.T. goals. I read a post written by Brooke: Not on a Diet titled 6 Tips on Making Working Out a Habit. The key step that resonated with me was the S.M.A.R.T. goal setting technique. Specific, Measurable, Active, Realistic and Timed goals. This means once you know what you want and have a plan in place, you set S.M.A.R.T. goals to help you monitor your progress towards success.
- Don’t quit. Bret L. Simmons once told my class that “The only way to lose is to quit.” And the quote has stuck—and should be shared. This is YOUR life we are talking about, and it is all about what YOU want to gain from it. You work your strategy with the aim to win (ie, to have your dreams and goals come true). If you quit, then you’ve given up, and you have invariably lost.
How’s that for some weirdly discovered insights? All of which have come to me in about the span of a week and a half. I figured I had better share it all before I forgot these nuggets of wisdom!
Share your own thoughts on how to achieve our dreams and live the lives we want! We can all gain from each other’s insights into life.